SEND Information Report

Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Information Report

At The Treasure Box, I am committed to the equal inclusion of all children in all areas of my setting’s life.  I recognise the diverse and individual needs of all our children and take into account the additional support required by those children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).


The SEND Code of Practice describes the principles to be observed by all professionals working with children who have special educational needs (SEN) or disabilities.  These include:

  • taking into account the views of children and their families
  • enabling children, and their parents to participate in decision-making
  • collaborating with partners in education, health and social care to provide support
  • identifying the needs of children
  • making high quality provision, to meet the needs of children
  • focusing on inclusive practices and removing barriers to learning
  • helping children to prepare for their next stage in life.

 What are special educational needs (SEN)?

The term ‘special educational needs’ has a legal definition. Children with SEN all have learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn than most children of the same age. These children may need extra, or different help, from that given to other children of the same age,

The law says that children do not have learning difficulties just because their first language is not English. But of course, some of these children may have learning difficulties as well.

Children with SEN may need extra help because of a range of needs, such as in thinking and understanding, physical or sensory difficulties, emotional and social difficulties, or difficulties with speech and language or how they relate to and behave with other people.

At The Treasure Box, I will endeavour to meet the needs of children with the following SEND:

  • Communication and interaction
  • Cognition and learning
  • Social, mental and emotional
  • Sensory and/or physical

Many children will have SEN of some kind at some time during their education. Educational settings and other organisations can help most children overcome the barriers their difficulties present quickly and easily.  But a few children will need extra help, for some, or all, of their time in education.

SEN could mean that a child has difficulties with:

  • all of the activities on offer in setting
  • understanding information
  • expressing themselves or understanding what others are saying
  • making friends or relating to adults
  • behaving appropriately in setting
  • organising themselves; or
  • some kind of sensory or physical needs which may affect them.

People who support children with special educational needs and/or disabilities in this setting

Who are the best people to talk to in this setting about a child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs/Disability (SEND)? And how can parents/carers talk to them about a child, if parents/carers need to?

Key Person

The Key Person is recommended as the first point of contact if parents/carers have any concerns. Your child’s Key person will be me.

I am responsible for: 

  • Making sure that all children have access to good/outstanding teaching and learning and that the curriculum is adapted to meet the child’s individual needs.
  • Checking on the progress of the child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help the child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support, adapting resources etc.).
  • Contributing to Support Plans and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each half term and subsequently planning for next steps.
  • Making sure that all adults working with the child are aware of the child’s individual needs and/or conditions and what specific adjustments need to be made to enable them to be included and make progress.
  • Making sure that all adults working with the child in setting, are supported in delivering the planned work/programme for the child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help or specially planned work and resources.
  • Making sure that the setting’s SEND Policy is followed for all the children I teach, with any SEND.

As the Key Person, I can be contacted by: speaking to me at the beginning and/or end of the day, or by arranging an appointment or telephoning the setting (01692 598291).

The Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator (SENCO)

The named SENCO is me, Louise Lawson.

I have a Level 3 qualification as a Special Educational Needs Coordinator.

I am responsible for:

  • Coordinating all the support for children with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND), and developing the setting’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in setting.
  • Making sure that parents/carers are:
    • Fully involved in supporting the child’s learning;
    • Kept informed about the support the child is receiving;
    • Fully involved in reviewing how they are progressing;
    • Fully involved in planning the child’s support.
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into setting to help support the child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology, Occupational Therapy etc.
  • Updating the setting’s SEND record of need, (a system for ensuring all the special educational, physical and sensory needs of children in this setting are known and understood) and making sure that there are excellent records of the child’s progress and needs.
  • Providing specialist support for any adults in the setting, so they can help the child (and other children with SEND in the setting) to achieve their potential.
  • Writing Support Plans, that specify the targets set for the child to achieve.
  • Preparing an Education, Health and Care Plan where needed.
  • Organising training, so that I am aware of, and confident about, how to meet the needs of the child and others within my setting. I attend training on a local, County and National level, via face-to-face or virtual methods. The training I have received and the impact it has had on children, is recorded in my Professional Development Log, and any further recommended training is organised.
  • Liaising with the Early Years Team at Norfolk County Council, to share information on individual children who require support.

I can be contacted by: in person or by telephoning my setting (01692 598291).

How can a child get help in setting?

Children in setting will get support that is specific to their individual needs. This may be all provided by me or may involve:

  • Staff who will visit the setting from the Local Authority central services such as the Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Outreach Team or Virtual School for SEND (for students with a hearing or visual need).
  • Staff who visit from outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) service.

What are the different types of support available for all children, including children with SEN and /or disabilities in this setting?

For all children in setting:

Key Person input via good/outstanding teaching

  • I will have the highest possible expectations for the child and all children in the setting.
  • All teaching and learning is based on building on what the child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Putting in place different ways of teaching, so that the child is fully involved in learning. This may involve things like using more practical learning or providing different resources adapted for the child.
  • Putting in place specific strategies (which may be suggested by staff from outside agencies) to enable the child to access the learning task. 

For any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of the Early Years Foundation Stage:

I place great importance on identifying special educational needs early, so that I can help children as quickly as possible.

I assess each child’s current skills and levels of attainment on entry, building on information from parents/carers and previous settings, where appropriate. 

I will make regular assessments of progress for all children.

The identification and assessment of children’s SEN will include:

  • My observations
  • Profiling to Early Years Outcomes
  • Information and advice from other agencies
  • Views of the child
  • Views of parents/carers
  • Diagnostic tests
  • Observational checklists
  • Dynamic forms of assessment which involve:
  • observing and recording responses in different environments
  • identifying strengths and weaknesses
  • identifying learning rates and learning styles.

Assessment information highlights the children that are making less than expected progress, given their age and individual circumstances. This can be characterised by progress which:

• is significantly slower than that of their peers, starting from the same baseline

• fails to match or better the child’s previous rate of progress

• fails to close the attainment gap between the child and their peers

• widens the attainment gap

I also assess progress in areas other than attainment; for instance, where a child needs to make additional progress with wider development or social needs in order to make a successful transition, then I would put in extra interventions and support and meet those needs.

I recognise that children make progress at different rates and have different ways in which they learn best. I take account of this by looking carefully at how I organise my teaching, the learning environment, activities and materials I give to each child and the way that I teach. This is so that I consider a number of options and choose the most appropriate ways to help each child learn from a range of activities. This is often described as a ‘differentiating the curriculum’.

Children making slower progress or having particular difficulties in one area, may be given extra help or different approaches in order to help them succeed, and this may include other kinds of support.

I do not assume, just because a child is making slower progress than expected or that I am providing different support, help or activities in setting, that the child has SEN.

Only a few children will require interventions which are additional to and different from, the differentiated curriculum provided for all children. 

Children with special educational needs should have access to the EYFS curriculum, using a step-by-step or ‘graduated approach’ of Assess, Plan, Do, Review.

Persistent disruptive or withdrawn behaviours do not necessarily mean that a child has SEN. Where there are concerns, there will be an assessment to determine whether there are any causal factors, such as undiagnosed learning difficulties, difficulties with communication or mental health issues. If it is thought housing, family or other domestic circumstances may be contributing to the presenting behaviour, a multi-agency approach, supported by the use of approaches such as Early Help, may be appropriate.

I am alert to other events that can lead to learning difficulties or wider mental health difficulties, such as bereavement. Such events will not always lead to children having SEN, but it can have an impact on well-being. I ensure appropriate provision is made in order to prevent problems escalating. Where there are long-lasting difficulties, I would consider whether the child might have SEN.

Slow progress and low attainment do not necessarily mean that a child has SEN and should not automatically lead to a child being recorded as having SEN. However, there may be an indicator of a range of learning difficulties or disabilities. Equally, it should not be assumed that attainment in line with chronological age means that there is no learning difficulty or disability. For example, some children may be high achieving academically, but may require additional support in communicating and interacting socially. Some learning difficulties and disabilities occur across the range of cognitive ability and, left unaddressed may lead to frustration, which may manifest itself as disaffection, emotional or behavioural difficulties.

Identifying and assessing SEN for children whose first language is not English requires particular care. I look carefully at all aspects of a child’s performance in different areas of learning and development to establish whether lack of progress is due to limitations in their command of English or if it arises from SEN or a disability. Difficulties related solely to limitations in English as an additional language are not SEN.

Children’s views and opinions are sought in an age and stage appropriate way; through observing their behaviours or through wishes and feelings work.

Where I, the Key Person and the setting SENCO, on the basis of high quality evidence, conclude that a child needs the additional targeted support given by SEN Support:

  • I will have carefully checked on the child’s progress and will have decided that the child has a gap in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to close the gap between the child and their peers.
  • Parents/carers will be immediately informed and will be full partners in planning and reviewing additional support or interventions.
  • I will plan with parents/carers, interventions to support the child’s learning. These interventions will have clear targets to help the child make more progress.
  • Interventions may include small group work or individual sessions on specific areas of learning.

Specific small group work

Small groups may be run in the playroom or outside, and are specialist groups run by outside agencies e.g. Speech and Language therapy or Occupational therapy groups and/or individual support. This may be from Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Virtual School for SEND (for children with a hearing or visual need), or outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) service.

  • Where small group sessions are put in place they will be run by me or an outside professional (like a Speech and Language Therapist) using a recognised programme.
  • At this point, parents/carers will be fully involved in discussions and decisions, and asked to come to a meeting to discuss the child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • Where specialist professionals work with the child to understand their needs and make recommendations, these may include:
    • Making changes to the way the child is supported in setting e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better;
    • Support to set targets, which will include their specific professional expertise;
    • The child’s involvement in a group run by me under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. Speech and Language Support;
    • A group or individual work in setting, run by an outside professional, e.g. CAMHS.
  • Parents/carers will always be involved in decisions about how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.
  • Parents/carers will be provided with the contact details for any agencies or services outside the setting, that are, or will be working with the child.

For children whose learning needs are more severe, complex and potentially lifelong:

Support is provided through an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

This means that the child will have been identified by me as the Key Person/SENCO as needing a particularly higher level of individual and small group support, which cannot be provided from the resources already delegated to the setting.

Usually, if the child requires this high level of support, they may also need specialist support in setting from outside professionals. This may be from Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Virtual School for SEND (for students with a hearing or visual need), or outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) service, Occupational Therapy service, Physiotherapy and/or CAMHS.

  • I am committed to using my own resources to deliver good and outstanding teaching, organising intervention groups and making referrals to outside agencies for advice and support to enable the child to make progress. If, despite all of this the child still needs further or more specialist input, I, or parents/carers, can recommend that the Local Authority makes a statutory assessment for an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This is a legal process and parents/carers can find full details about this in the Local Authority (LA) based Local Offer, on the Norfolk County Council website.
  • This is done in full partnership with parents/carers and the child. After I have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about the child, including some from parents/carers), the LA will decide whether they think the child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), are sufficient to need a statutory assessment.
  • If this is the case, they will ask parents/carers and all professionals involved with the child, to write a report, to which the child contributes, outlining the child’s needs, how they will be met and the long and short term outcomes that are being sought.
  • If they do not think the child needs this, they will ask me to continue with the SEND Support in Setting and provide further support to parents/carers and the setting to ensure the child’s needs are met.
  • After the reports have all been sent in, and if the assessment is accepted, an EHC Plan to which parents/carers and the child will contribute, will be prepared. It is called an Education Health and Care Plan because it brings together all of the educational, health and social care needs that the child may have, in one plan.
  • I must use my best endeavours to put in place the support identified in the plan.
  • The progress the child makes with the support identified, will be regularly reviewed and changed according to the progress the child makes.

How will I support a child with identified SEND, starting at my setting?

  • If the child has been allocated a place in my setting by the local authority and they have SEND, please would parents/carers contact me as soon as they receive the offer, as I may not have details of the child’s needs at that stage.
  • I will invite parents/carers to visit my setting with the child, to have a look around and speak to me, and I will work with parents/carers and the child while they are in the setting. I will find out as much information as I can, in order to make the child’s transition into my setting as smooth as possible. I will always work in a child-centred way, whilst believing that parents are the experts on their child. Parents will be supported to complete comprehensive transition documentation, including One Page Profiles. Throughout the transition process, positive relationships are forged between myself and parents/carers, through face to face dialogue, text and email communications.
  • If other professionals are involved, a Team Around the Child (TAC) meeting will be held, to discuss the child’s needs, share strategies used, and ensure provision is put in place before the child starts.
  • As the child’s Key Person and SENCo, I will make a home visit and also visit the child if they are attending another provision. I may suggest adaptations to the settling in period, to help the child to settle more easily, but these will be agreed with parents/carers at the TAC meeting.
  • If they have not already visited, the child will be invited into setting in advance of starting, to meet me, as I will be supporting them and their peer group. The child will then have as many settling in sessions as they in, in order to make a smooth transition.
  • Following the settling in period, I will arrange an early meeting with parents/carers to review the child’s learning and progress.
  • I will then monitor the progress of the child and invite parents/carers into setting at least once every half term for a review.

How can parents/carers let me know that they are concerned about their child’s progress in setting?

  • If parents/carers have any concerns, I recommend parents/carers speak to me at the earliest opportunity.
  • If parents/carers are not happy that the concerns are being managed and feel that the child is still not making progress parents/carers should speak to me again.
  • If this fails to resolve the issue and parents/carers are still not happy, parents/carers can speak to the Early Years Team at Norfolk County Council.

Working together with me, will often help to sort out worries and problems. The closer parents/carers work with me as the child’s Key Person, the more successful any help for the child can be.

Parents/carers might like to ask:

• if I think the child has difficulties;

• if I think the child has special educational needs;

• if the child is able to work at the same level as other children of a similar age;

• if the child is already getting some extra help; and

• if parents/carers can help the child.

How will I let parents/carers know if I have any concerns about the child’s learning in setting?

  • When I, or parents/carers, have raised concerns about the child’s progress, and high quality personalised teaching has not met the child’s needs, I will invite parents/carers in to discuss it and plan a way forward.
  • I will discuss the child’s progress with parents/carers, at our half-termly parent meetings, when parents/carers will be informed of the child’s progress and any additional support being given.
  • If the child is then identified as not making progress, I will make a decision about whether to monitor this, or put intervention strategies in place and I will inform parents/carers. This may involve small group activities or one-to-one support.
  • If the child is still not making expected progress, I will discuss with parents/carers:
    • Any concerns parents/carers may have;
    • Any further interventions or referrals to outside professionals to support the child’s learning;
    • How we could work together, to support the child at home/in setting.

Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in my setting?

Directly funded by the setting:

  • Me, as an Early Years Practitioner
  • 1:1 or small group teaching

Paid for centrally by the Local Authority but delivered in setting:

  • Autism Outreach Service
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) or Starfish
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Virtual School for SEND for children with visual or hearing needs
  • Dyslexia
  • Speech and Language Therapy (provided by Health but paid for by the Local Authority).
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • NCC Early Years Inclusion team
  • School 2 School Support

Provided and paid for by the Health Service:

  • Professional training for me to deliver medical interventions
  • Parent Partnership service (to support families through the SEN processes and procedures)
  • Just One Norfolk

Voluntary agencies:

  • National Autistic Society
  • Benjamin Foundation

The contact details for the support services can be found on the NCC Local Offer website here.

The NCC Local Offer website contains full information of the services available to children, parents/carers and their families under the Norfolk Local Offer.

How am I helped to work with children with SEND and what training do I have?

  • The SENCO’s job is to support adults in planning for children with SEND.
  • I have a professional development plan, including identified training needs for me to improve the teaching and learning of all children, including those with SEND. This includes training on SEND issues or to support identified groups of learners in setting, such as Autism, Speech and Language, Mental Health, etc.
  • I attend training courses run by outside agencies, which are relevant to the needs of specific children in my setting e.g. from the ASD Outreach service, Virtual School for SEND or medical /health training to support me in implementing care plans.

Training takes place on a regular basis. If parents/carers would like to hear about the training which is currently taking place or has taken place by me, please speak with me.

The training that I have received that is relevant to the child, is noted on the child’s Support Plan.

How will the teaching be adapted for a child with SEND?

  • Early Years practitioners plan experiences and activities according to the specific needs of all groups of children in the setting, and will ensure that learning tasks are adapted to enable the child to access their learning as independently as possible.
  • I am able to implement planning, to support the needs of each individual child.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support the child individually and in small groups, so that they can learn most effectively, and be included in the full life of the setting. These will be included in the child’s learning plan.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis, if needed, to meet the child’s learning needs and increase the child’s access to what is on offer.

How will I measure the progress of the child in setting? And how will parents/carers know about this?

  • The child’s progress is continually monitored by me.
  • His/her progress is reviewed formally every half term, against the Early Years Foundation Stage Framework document and/or the Portage Developmental Journal and/or the Autism Education trust Framework, as a guide. The rate of progress in all areas of the curriculum is recorded and discussed with parents/carers at our half-termly meetings.
  • Children in receipt of SEN support have a Support Plan, which will be reviewed every half term and the plan for the next half term will be made.
  • The progress of children with an EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults, including parents/carers, involved with the child’s education. For early years children, these annual reviews actually take place every 3 months.
  • I will also check that the child is making good progress within any individual learning and in any group that they take part in.
  • A range of ways will be used to keep parents/carers informed; this may include:
    • Half termly parent/carers meetings
    • Additional meetings as required
    • Annual Reviews
    • Learning Folders
    • On a daily/weekly basis with me as the child’s Key Person/SENCO

What support do I have for parents/carers of a child with SEND?

  • I would like parents/carers to talk to me regularly, so that I know what the child is doing at home and I can tell parents/carers about what they are doing in setting. This is to ensure that we are doing similar things to support the child, both at home and in setting and so that we can share what is working in both places.
  • I am always available to meet with parents/carers to discuss their child’s progress or any concerns/worries parents/carers may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with parents/carers. I will also arrange to meet with parents/carers to discuss any new assessments and ideas suggested by outside agencies for the child.
  • Support Plans will be reviewed each half term.

In addition:

  • The Support Plan will include ideas for how parents/carers can support the child at home, following the discussion with parents/carers.
  • The external professionals involved with the child will be happy to meet with parents/carers on request.
  • My website and Facebook page include ideas of ways in which parents/carers can support their child with learning; these are often practical ideas and can be easily adapted to suit the needs of children with special educational needs and/or disabilities.
  • I will be happy to consider any ideas in order to support the child.
  • The views of parents/carers are sought when developing my setting’s policies and procedures.

If the child is undergoing statutory assessment for an EHC Plan, parents/carers will also be supported by the Children’s Services SEND Team. They will ensure that parents/carers fully understand the process.

The Norfolk SEND Partnership Information, Advice and Support Services (SENDIASS) will support parents of children with special educational needs. Their website can be found here.

They offer: information, advice and support to children, young people and parents/carers about special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). This includes health and social care where it is linked to education.

They are a free, dedicated, confidential and impartial service based in Norwich. Staff are independently trained in SEND.

They have a Steering Group which includes parents and representatives from local voluntary groups, Children’s Services, the Parent Carer Forum, schools, Education and Social Care, as well as Health. Together they plan the services on offer across Norfolk.

They can give parents information on:

  • The law on Special Educational Needs (SEN) and Disability, Health and Social Care where they link to education.
  • Local policy and practice.
  • Personal budgets and working together (personalisation).
  • The Local Offer.
  • Education Health and Care Plans (EHCP).
  • Moving through stages of education, this is called transition.
  • Mediation and dispute resolution, Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal Service and complaints procedures.

They can give advice about:

  • Gathering, understanding and interpreting information and applying it to your own situation.
  • Signposting to other services for information, advice and support.
  • What to do when things go wrong.
  • How to get the best from a meeting.

They can give support with:

  • Preparing for and attending meetings.
  • Writing letters.
  • Understanding reports.
  • The EHC Plan process and annual reviews.
  • Admissions and Exclusions.
  • Post 16 provision.
  • Working in partnership with schools and the local authority to develop positive relationships.

Their contact details can be found here:

01603 704070

07860 033614

How have I made this setting physically accessible to children with SEND?

I will consider if a child may have a disability under the Equality Act 2010 and, if so, what reasonable adjustments I may need to make for them.

  • The setting is at ground floor level with accessible gates and doors, so is suitable for children with physical disabilities. I have a quiet, low stimulation area, changing facilities, good lighting, cushioned flooring, etc.
  • I ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • I am trained to support children with a range of needs.
  • Should a child need specialist equipment, I am happy to discuss this with families and arrange for Norfolk county Council to assess this and subsidise the cost of this. This may include: a hoist, sensory aids, communication aids, movement aids, assistive technology, outdoor equipment, etc.
  • If parents/carers have a specific concern, please make contact with me. Contact telephone number 01692 598291

What support is available for improving the emotional, mental and social development of children with SEN?

In accordance with the Equality Act 2014, I make reasonable adjustments and have a positive ethos and culture in my setting. I celebrate differences, nurture children, develop positive relationships, foster children’s independence and teach personal responsibility.

As a Mental Health Champion for my setting, I have access to a wealth of resources to support children’s mental health. This includes strategies for developing emotional literacy, teaching relaxation and mindfulness techniques, and having access to advice and support from other professionals.

How will I support the child when they are leaving my setting?  

I recognise that ‘moving on’ can be difficult for a child with SEND and I take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible. I will work with parents and the child to find the best course of action.

If the child is moving to another setting:

  • I will talk with the child to identify how they are feeling and what they think about the move and discuss with them (in a way that they can understand) how to make it as positive an experience as possible. I carry out a number of transition activities including making ‘I Can’ books which detail what the child can do and offer starting points for the new setting. Children who have SEND make visits to their new settings and I invite the teachers to visit the children in my setting, so that I can share information regarding the child’s needs and accomplishments and so that teachers can learn about what works for the child and what the next learning steps might be. The timings of transition work and preparations will depend on the strengths and needs of the child; some children require a long transition period and some need less time. I work in a child-centred way with the parents and their child, to find the best route forward.
  • I will contact the new setting’s SENCO and ensure s/he knows about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for the child.
  • I will make sure that all records about the child are passed on as soon as possible. All Support Plans will be shared with the new teacher and parents/carers will be invited to the planning meeting.
  • Permission from parents will be sought, in order to share information with the next setting.

Transition processes are reviewed at least annually, to ensure they are fit for purpose. The views of children, their parents/carers and other settings will be sought, in order to make improvements.

How is any SEND funding is spent?

SEND funding is spent on:

  • high quality and 1:1 teaching support.
  • supervision during non-teaching free-play time.
  • care of personal needs and medical needs.
  • delivering specialist support programmes of interventions.
  • accessing supported trips and visits, outside of the setting.
  • specialist equipment: larger buggy, indoor seating, car safety seat, taller safety gates, ICT.
  • specific resources: cosy pod, light panel, bubble tube, sensory toys.
  • learning resources: special interest books, special interest toys, crafts, visual timetables.

Funding is spent using a ‘needs-led’ approach, which means that the specific needs of the specific children in attendance are given priority, when spending funding.

My experience

Within my setting, the SEND needs I have provided support for, include:

Communication… listening and attention (for example: struggles with joint attention with an adult, doesn’t respond to name, lost in own world, inattentive, poor attention span, distractible), understanding (for example: doesn’t follow instructions, can’t follow conversations, prone to tantrums, physically aggressive, withdrawn), speaking (for example: unclear speech, small vocabulary, too loud, vocalisations)

Interaction… (for example: unaware of personal space, in-your-face, loud, interrupts, quick to temper, argumentative, confrontational, inappropriate expression of self)

Cognition and Learning… (for example: inflexible thinking, needs lots and lots of repetition, poor memory, poor organisation)

Social, Emotional and Mental Health… (for example: anxiety, self-harm, needs routines, avoids demands, hides, aggressive, impulsive, separation anxiety, attachment issues, phobias, sleep difficulties, isolates self, poor friendships, poor self-control, socially awkward)

Sensory… (for example: hypersensitivity to environmental noise, taste and textures of food, averse to messy play, poor balance, proprioception difficulties, accident prone, Hyposensitive so seeks extra stimulation to muscles and joints, is very loud)

Physical… (for example: tires easily, trips and falls frequently, poor coordination, struggles to dress self, struggles negotiating stairs, hypermobile)


Should parents/carers have a complaint about any aspect of the provision made available for their child, they can speak to me at any mutually convenient time. If this fails to satisfy parents, they will be directed to my setting’s Complaints Policy, which can be found here.

Support can be obtained from 

Norfolk County Council’s Early Years Team on 0344 800 8020.

The Norfolk SEND Partnership Information, Advice and Support Services (SENDIASS)

This document was reviewed and updated on 24th May 2021

A NCC SEN Information Report Audit was conducted on 24.05.21. Reference number SEN-334876548

The special educational needs for which provision is made at my setting:

Of the children currently in attendance:

100% of them have Communication and Interaction needs

100% of them have Social, emotional and Mental Health needs

100% of them have Cognition and Learning needs

0% currently have Sensory and/or Physical needs.

When considering the children’s Primary Needs, 100% of them have Communication and Interaction as their Primary Need, as illustrated in the bar chart, below. The children also have Secondary Needs.

Here are some useful links to my setting’s policies and procedures:

SEND Policy… here

Accessibility Plan.. here

Safeguarding Policy… here

Behaviour policy… here

Complaints Procedure… here

Supporting children with medical conditions… here

Admissions policy… here

Equality of Opportunity Policy… here